American Vanguard Corporation (NYSE: AVD) today announced financial results for the second quarter and six months ended June 30, 2021.
Fiscal 2021 Second Quarter Financial Highlights – versus Fiscal 2020 Second Quarter:
• Net sales were up 29% to $135 million in 2021, compared to $105 million in 2020
• Net income was up 32% to $5.1 million in 2021, compared to $3.9 million in 2020
• Earnings per diluted share were up 31% to $0.17 in 2021, compared to $0.13 in 2020
• EBITDA* was up 17% to $14.7 million in 2021, compared to $12.6 million in 2020
• On August 5th, 2021, the Company executed a new $275 million Credit Facility agreement
Fiscal 2021 Mid-Year Financial Highlights – versus Fiscal 2020 Mid-year:
• Net sales were up 25% to $251 million in 2021, compared to $201 million in 2020
• Net income was up 86% to $8.2 million in 2021, compared to $4.4 million in 2020
• Earnings per diluted share were up 80% to $0.27 in 2021, compared to $0.15 in 2020
• EBITDA was up 32% to $26.7 million in 2021, compared to $20.2 million in 2020
Note: Further details are available in the financial schedules attached to this press release
Eric Wintemute, Chairman and CEO of American Vanguard stated: “At the midpoint of 2021, we continue to see stronger market demand which has translated into improved growth and financial performance both domestically and abroad. Compared to our 2020 results, US Crop posted a 40% gain in net sales during the second quarter and 24% for the first half; US Non-Crop rose 54% in the quarter and 56% year-to-date; and International gained 10% quarterly and 17% through mid-year. Gross profit margins during the second quarter remained solid, at 44% for the US and a much improved 31% for our international business. The 29% improvement in overall net sales performance during the quarter was surpassed by a 32% increase in net income during that period.”
Mr. Wintemute continued: “In addition to recording improved financial performance during the second quarter, we accomplished three important milestones. Organizationally, we successfully integrated our non-crop business into a single management entity branded AMGUARD. Further, we completed the integration of our newly acquired entity, AgNova, into our Australian business, which has tripled our sales in that country. In addition, we negotiated a new credit facility with our bank consortium (to replace our existing facility) that provides expanded funding (up to $275 million plus a $150 million accordion) and flexibility for continued growth through acquisition, expansion of our green solutions portfolio, and investment in precision application technology”.
Mr. Wintemute concluded: “Looking forward, we believe that our Company is well positioned in both domestic and international markets. Assuming favorable market and pandemic trends, we maintain our previous outlook for 2021 with low double-digit revenue growth and comparatively stronger growth in both net income and EBITDA. These factors, coupled with well-managed operating expenses, should further strengthen our balance sheet. We look forward to giving you a more detailed presentation during our upcoming earnings call.”
* Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization. EBITDA is not a financial measure calculated and presented in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and should not be considered as an alternative to net income, operating income or any other financial measure so calculated and presented, nor as an alternative to cash flow from operating activities as a measure of liquidity. The items excluded from EBITDA are detailed in the reconciliation attached to this news release. Other companies (including the Company’s competitors) may define EBITDA differently.
Eric Wintemute, Chairman & CEO, Bob Trogele, EVP & COO and David T. Johnson, VP & CFO, will conduct a conference call focusing on the financial results and strategic themes…at 4:30 pm ET on August 9, 2021. Interested parties may participate in the call by dialing (201) 493-6744. Please call in 10 minutes before the call is scheduled to begin and ask for the American Vanguard call. The conference call will also be webcast live via the News and Media section of the Company’s web site at www.american-vanguard.com. To listen to the live webcast, go to the web site at least 15 minutes early to register, download and install any necessary audio software. If you are unable to listen live, the conference call will be archived on the Company’s web site.
ABOUT AMERICAN VANGUARD
American Vanguard Corporation is a diversified specialty and agricultural products company that develops and markets products for crop protection and management, turf and ornamentals management and public and animal health. American Vanguard is included on the Russell 2000® and Russell 3000® Indexes and the Standard & Poor’s Small Cap 600 Index. To learn more about American Vanguard, please reference the Company’s web site at www.american-vanguard.com.
The Company, from time to time, may discuss forward-looking information. Except for the historical information contained in this release, all forward-looking statements are estimates by the Company’s management and are subject to various risks and uncertainties that may cause results to differ from management’s current expectations. Such factors include weather conditions, changes in regulatory policy, the coronavirus pandemic, and other risks as detailed from time-to-time in the Company’s SEC reports and filings. All forward-looking statements, if any, in this release represent the Company’s judgment as of the date of this release..
American Vanguard Corporation
William A. Kuser, Director of Investor Relations
The Equity Group
Lena Cati | (212) 836-9611